buffy coat smear for malaria

mrdth5

• 1 month later...

Apparently the use of a buffy coat smear to detect malaria came from a 2011 study that was published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine.   I does state however that a larger and more complete study should be performed before implementing this into common practice. 

Here is the link if you’re interested.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609286/

It state

Apparently the use of a buffy coat smear to detect malaria came from a 2011 study that was published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine.   I does state however that a larger and more complete study should be performed before implementing this into common practice. 

Here is the link if you’re interested.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609286/

It states that there are 36 examined that have been detected by conventional thick films already and the patient is already undergoing treatment. The buffy coat ones are taken after treatment - so assumedly only to detect whether the treatment is complete?

I think it is risky to use any form of films to determine completeness of the treatment as it may be that the malaria has gone into hepatic cells and is no longer circulating.

It definitely shouldn't be used as a primary diagnostic tool IMO.

It state

It states that there are 36 examined that have been detected by conventional thick films already and the patient is already undergoing treatment. The buffy coat ones are taken after treatment - so assumedly only to detect whether the treatment is complete?

I think it is risky to use any form of films to determine completeness of the treatment as it may be that the malaria has gone into hepatic cells and is no longer circulating.

It definitely shouldn't be used as a primary diagnostic tool IMO.

My novice interpretation of this article:

Their test was to see if they could identify parasites in the buffy coat that they didn't see in a thick film, in patients they thought it should be possible due to previous thick film identifications.

And yes, they did in ~27% of cases.

Their recommendation was for add'l studies due to low sample size but that it might be a useful tool to consider to prevent false negatives.

My novice interpretation of this article:

Their test was to see if they could identify parasites in the buffy coat that they didn't see in a thick film, in patients they thought it should be possible due to previous thick film identifications.

And yes, they did in ~27% of cases.

Their recommendation was for add'l studies due to low sample size but that it might be a useful tool to consider to prevent false negatives.

The initial slides were positive and the susequent slides were negative. What I was trying to say was neither method should be used to determine efficacy of treatment due to the latent phase of treatment. And it certainly shouldn't be used as a primary diagnostic tool.