Competency - Monitoring the recording and reporting of test results

kirkaw

Greetings!

For the competency assessment element 'monitoring the recording and reporting of test results', what do you do for testing that is performed infrequently and may not be performed by all staff but that should be available 24x7? For example Kleihauer-Betke stains.

Thanks,

Amelia

For KBs, I have all staff perform the positive sample when we get a survey (after it is reported).  Their results are kept on file with the acceptable performance for that challenge.  That is about the only test I have to keep that way.  Only selected folks do elutions (they are never really stat and if they need to be done, I get called in - usually a WAIHA so I'm coming in anyway).  They never are stat for cord bloods.  All my staff perform abids.

So David, you interpret that standard as the knowledge of how to properly record the result, am I correct? When you have folks repeat a test, then the reporting is already complete, so you are not really monitoring the recording and reporting of test results. I guess my interpretation of this standard is more about the proper recording of the result than the performance of the test. Some computer systems make this a challenge!

Also, I am wondering how an inspector interprets this. Thanks for the input!

kirkaw, we enter the order into the test system and have them document the result as they would in LIVE. We have form documents to track our monitoring of recording/reporting of results, which list the accession number, get signed by the Lead Technologist, then scanned into their electronic competency record.

Kirkaw - the staff members who perform the "real" survey specimens have to report in the computer just like a patient.  The other staff members report the fetal and maternal cells counted and calculate the percentage manually.  The computer result automatically performs the calculation based on the cells counted.  Never had an inspector give this a second thought.  Been doing KBs here for 20 years.

This makes more sense to me now. Thanks!

We do not record PT results in the computer. I have not had an inspector question my K-B stain competency assessment either, but our entire lab is struggling with this element in relation to tests of low volume. I wanted to put it out to this group and my best example of a low volume test was a K-B stain.

Thanks for your input.