Is a panel cell listed as Ror considered to be single-dose or double dose for D antigen

Dansket

Cell #4 of ORTHO PANEL C lot# VRC203 is listed as Ror (D+C-c+E-e+). With all deference to Malcolm, do you consider Ror to have a single or double dose of the D antigen? I think D is present in a single dose on an Ror cell and that panel cell is "heterozygous" for the D antigen. Panel cells that are R1R1 or R2R2 are double dose or homozygous for the D antigen. Am I correct?

I don't think anti-D should be ruled out if cell# 4 is non-reactive but all other D positive cells are weakly-agglutinated (1+) and all D negative cells are not agglutinated.

Edited by Dansket

You are quite correct Dansket.  Even if the cell comes from a Black donor (and it probably does), and even if the donor is Fy(a-b-), it could still be RoRo or Ror (although the former is much more likely, the latter is by no means unknown - rare, but not unknown), or even a Partial RHD gene in trans with a "normal" RHD gene.

Without knowing all of this, I would not rule out anti-D either.

Mind you, as I've said many times before, genes can be homozygous, heterozygous and hemizygous - antigens cannot!

We had a patient referred to our Ref Lab that had an anti-D reactive strongly in Solid Phase with all D+ cells but Ro cells. Customer was certain there was an unusual aby here.

You are quite correct Dansket.  Even if the cell comes from a Black donor (and it probably does), and even if the donor is Fy(a-b-), it could still be RoRo or Ror (although the former is much more likely, the latter is by no means unknown - rare, but not unknown), or even a Partial RHD gene in trans with a "normal" RHD gene.

Without knowing all of this, I would not rule out anti-D either.

Mind you, as I've said many times before, genes can be homozygous, heterozygous and hemizygous - antigens cannot!