What is your procedure for resolving the following typing discrepancy?

Mosaics

ANTI-A     ANTI-B      ANTI-D      RH CONTROL       A1 CELLS       B CELLS
  0                  0              0                   0                          0                     4+

Today, we had these results on a labor & delivery patient with history of type A negative, weakly reacting with anti-A.  I am just curious as to your facility's procedures to resolve this discrepancy in comparison.

Thanks!

Any more detail that you can provide on the "weakly reacting with anti-A".  Was it a microscopic reading? Was it mixed-field agglutination?  Were the original results confirmed by a reference laboratory?

Assuming these results are from standard tube tests with polyclonal anti-A and anti-B? I would test with monoclonal anti-A,B.  I would incubate the reverse grouping test for 5-15 minutes at room temperature, centrifuge and read.

Any more detail that you can provide on the "weakly reacting with anti-A".  Was it a microscopic reading? Was it mixed-field agglutination?  Were the original results confirmed by a reference laboratory?

Assuming these results are from standard tube tests with polyclonal anti-A and anti-B? I would test with monoclonal anti-A,B.  I would incubate the reverse grouping test for 5-15 minutes at room temperature, centrifuge and read.

We use monoclonal reagents in gel.  Then it was tested in tube with monoclonal anti-A and was microscopically positive.  Our supervisor suggested testing it with a type B patient (possesses anti-A).  Do you use this method?  This method didn't seem to change the results, as it was still microscopically positive even after incubating for 10-15 minutes at room temperature. 

Edited by Mosaics

Any news about a BMT?

I remember one case where a very goof friend of mine had a bit of a shock when a baby's group excluded the mother.  He thought about a baby swap and all sorts of other things, and almost decided that he could no longer do ABO grouping (he was/is a VERY senior member of the blood transfusion fraternity in the UK).

It turned out that that the mother had received a BMT earlier in her life, and the baby was the result of an ovum gifted from her sister.

Without the info of the historic type, I would be working to make that reverse type show up.  With that information, I would be looking at weak A subgroups.  You could certainly get a polyclonal antibody from a patient sample, although I would think you would use an O patient (or a pool of them) for the anti-A,B.