ECHO to LIS

Karrieb61

Hi to all of you. I am already finding this site very useful and just signed on as a member.  My little lab is about to acquire an ECHO which will bring us into the 21st century but our current, very limited LIS system is a Star Navigator. Rumor has it that we will be moving to EPIC within a year or so. Do any of you know if EPIC has a Blood Bank module for connecting to ECHOs? Thanks!  PS, you'll be hearing more from me I am sure as we get closer to installation of our ECHO.

We have Epic as our HIS.  They do not have a Blood Bank system in Epic.  They just recently (a few weeks ago) were FDA approved for a blood administration module; this is just the nursing piece to transfuse the blood.  We will be implementing that in the fall.

So, your Echo will need to be directly interfaced to your Blood Bank LIS.  If you have Epic, you will be required to purchase a stand-alone Blood Bank system to complement their Lab system, Beaker.  We have SCC SoftBank, but there are other good systems to consider, such as Sunquest and HCLL.  All of your Echo reactions/interpretations will go to your Blood Bank LIS and be verified/validated there before going through the interface to your new HIS, Epic, where just the results of the tests will be displayed.