TRM.30400 review requirement

adiescast

I am doing a self inspection with the 7/11/11 revision of the checklist and came across this statement in the note: "All tests that include an interpretation must be reviewed by the laboratory director or qualified designee before release from the laboratory."

In my opinion, all tests in blood bank include an interpretation. Does this mean that everything must be reviewed before they can be released? Has anybody figured this one out already?

Thanks!

:confused:

I noticed that too and we are in our inspection window. My question is who is a qualified designee?? I review our daily QA failures and panels and my counterpart reviews a daily grid report....are we qualified?? We do have "automatic traps" for improbable results, however the techs review this then release the results.

I think we are going to just leave it at that...there would be no way the pathologist could review all results before being released, even our antibodies would not be able to be reviewed in a timely manner. :confused:

I interpret "qualified designee" to be the technologist. Do we agree that a Medical Technologist is qualified to interpret ABORh results, panel results, etc.? I say that the course work they took, the exams they took, and the PT they regularly perform proves that they are "qualified" to interpret the results. I would contrast this with the following situation: a non-med tech (high school educated, for example) is performing immunohematology testing. They could not report final interpretations alone - they need someone qualified, like a med tech, to release the results.

You can outline in your QC/QA policy and procedure what your lab consideres a "designee". If you have a computerized BB system your truth tables and error flags provide a level of electronic review which can be utilized to assist your techs/designees in releasing results from the lab.

Then throw in a blurb outlining that anything "unusual" or "suspect" is reviewed by the lab director prior to release from the lab, with the ultimate goal of providing timely, accurate results to the physicians.

I think you can fufill this reg with the proper wording and you are on the right track with you and your counterpart doing daily review. Make sure at inspection time you are doing what your p&p say you are doing. Good Luck:)

• 2 years later...

:cries:HELP!

I am wondering if you all will update me on current standards or best practices in reference to a process for Blood Bank work review.  I manage 30 techs (most are generalist) :cries:  and have been performing daily reviews of their work.  Along with review of Meditech exception reports and override reports I find lots of errors, as you can imagine the deviations and FDA/CBER reports are plentiful.  This fast-paced level II trauma center needs fast-paced competent techs.  I have been in the business for 25 yrs (only 18 months here).  Turnover rates and rushed training sessions (two weeks) contribute to substandard lab practices.

The problem is a Director who does not understand Transfusion Medicine and the potential harm we can bring to our patients (he only sees numbers).  If I could list the errors here, you may also lose sleep tonight. :angered:He called CAP and asked if we needed to review 100% results.  He wants to change to reviewing only 5% daily :confuse:. To me this is unethical, unsafe and an accident waiting to happen.  I am seriously concerned for the patients, so I turned in my resignation.  All input, comments, and suggestions welcomed.  No spell checks please.

Sincerely,

Cottonball, MT (ASCP)SBB

Cottonball, you have serious patient safety concerns that probably should be reported to regulatory agencies (CAP, State Dept of Health, or Joint Commission...whoever accredits your lab). 

However, although reporting is confidential and according to most corporate compliance protocols, you cannot be punished, this ends up (very sadly) being a big "bridge burner".

In this case, I agree that a resignation is probably the best bet.  Give the proper notice, maintain your high standards, don't burn any bridges on the way out.  You never know who knows who in this field, and you might need a good reference someday.  With your SBB credentials you will have no problem finding a position that will be more fulfilling.

WOW!! I think you did the right thing professionally.  As stated above, don't burn your bridges.  Are they hoping that if you only review 5% of the results the error rate will decrease?  It won't really but will look better on paper - until you have a sentinel event.  If you have enought Biologic Product Deviations I wouldn't be surprised if the FDA shows up . . . maybe that's what your director needs.  A really thorough investigation . . . Good luck to you.

I am wondering if you all will update me on current standards or best practices in reference to a process for Blood Bank work review. I manage 30 techs (most are generalist) and have been performing daily reviews of their work. Along with review of Meditech exception reports and override reports I find lots of errors,as you can imagine the deviations and FDA/CBER reports are plentiful. This fast-paced level II trauma center needs fast-paced competent techs.

Sincerely,

Cottonball, MT (ASCP)SBB

Meditech is the most effective tool that I have to manage a group of Generalists. Every process is done in Meditech, I do not have any log books of any kind.

Do you have control of the BBK module or does IT control it? Have you implemented the computer crossmatch? Doing so has a huge impact on eliminating low-value processes and stream-lining your operation.

PM me if you want to know more.

Thanks so much for the input, but they are years away from computer crossmatching.  They are hardworking, intelligent techs who have been short-changed for quite some time now.  They don't know, what they don't know.  I worked so hard with them these past 18 months, and they were actually beginning to like and appreciate my position on quality, and giving our patients the very best experience possible.  I pray the buy-in sticks with them.

This is the first for-profit organization I have worked for in my 25 years, and what a difference.  Nursing is big on quality and for the most part knows the state of the lab.  I have resigned my position on principle, and really hated leaving my wonderful coworkers.  My core values in always doing the right thing, especially for patients well-being, I cannot trade in.  I reported my concerns to upper management before leaving.  Have two job offers already, but will take the next few weeks to get some sleep and hopefully grow some hair back :lol:  :floating:

Regards,

Connie

How can we move to computer crossmatch when the ABORH confirmation sample was drawn at the same time of the T&C sample (rainbow).  Example: Both samples type as APOS.  Patient receives APOS computer crossmatch or serological crossmatch (irrelevant).  Patient receives APOS= trxn= post sample= (OPOS).  :cries:  :cries:  :cries:  Written policy states ABORH confirmation sample has to be drawn at separate time by a different drawer.  A supervisor, not my techs, pulled the confirmation sample in a hurry :cries:  :cries:  :cries: .Now I am bald and fat.

Regards,

Connie 

How can we move to computer crossmatch when the ABORH confirmation sample was drawn at the same time of the T&C sample (rainbow).  Example: Both samples type as APOS.  Patient receives APOS computer crossmatch or serological crossmatch (irrelevant).  Patient receives APOS= trxn= post sample= (OPOS).  :cries:  :cries:  :cries:  Written policy states ABORH confirmation sample has to be drawn at separate time by a different drawer.  A supervisor, not my techs, pulled the confirmation sample in a hurry :cries:  :cries:  :cries: .Now I am bald and fat.

Regards,

Connie 

As the younger generation would say:  "OMG!"  (I don't think I want to hear any more of the horror stories!)

As several others have said, I respect and congratulate you on your professional ethics.  I'm sure that was not a pleasant decision to tackle, but I bet you never regret it.  Glad that you already have a couple leads on a new job.  Good luck!

Donna

I agree with the others. This takes some courage to stand by your principles. Spell it out to them if you gat an exit interview.

I can only say how much I admire you for your stance.

I am sure that you will not regret it. I hope that there is a close by employer who values your stand.

All the very best.

Cheers

Eoin

:excited: Thanks guys.  Your support means everything.  I accepted a Blood Bank manager position at a well-known hospital and University.  I will continue seeking your support and guidance, as this forum is the great gift that keeps on giving.  My 2015 pledge is to be more visible here instead of behind the scenes.  I look forward to breaking the Christmas bulbs again.  Please,Please bring them back :thanks:  :blowkiss:

Respectfully,

Connie